Optotune's electrically tunable lens brings electrical focus adjustment to conventional lenses. The shape changing lens are based on a combination of optical fluids and a polymer membrane. The core element consists of a container, which is filled with an optical liquid and
sealed off with a thin, elastic polymer membrane. A circular ring that pushes onto the center of the membrane shapes the tunable lens.
To tune the lens, fluid is pressed into the center of the lens by a current controlled voice coil thus changing the curvature of the membrane and with that the focal length of the lens.
Learn how the focus tunable lenses from Optotune can simplify and speed up machine vision applications, e.g. barcode reading when heights of the inspected objects change.
Easy connection and control via the TR-CL180 Industrial Lens controller from Gardasoft
Reasons to choose the Optotune EL
Optotune EL lenses allow a very fast and flexible change of the focal length and thanks to the Frequency feature even several focus changes within one exposure can be realised. These electronic adjustments are performed within milliseconds. This means that a change of focus can be executed easily - and if necessary even within one single exposure - and objects of various sizes can be inspected either in short sequence or at the same time.
- Inspect changing objects comfortably without tedious mechanical adjustments of the system.
- Increase throughput speed of production.
- Save time and effort for sorting objects prior to inspection.
- Benefit from the high quality of fixed focus lenses to keep image and inspection quality at the high level you are used to.
Changing the radius of the Optotune lenses just several microns can have the same effect as moving a conventional lens several centimetres. Due to the compact design of the Optotune lens, the size of the optical system is only slightly increased when you add the lens onto the filter thread of the conventional lens or between the camera and the conventional lens.
- Adapt your set-up easily to changing optical requirements.
- The ability to fit your optical system into small spaces.
- Gain great flexibility and peace of mind when the inspection object changes because despite adjusting the focus or focal length the size of the optical system remains the same.
The Optotune lens is simply screwed on the filter thread of your conventional lens or between the camera and the conventional lens. This means you avoid using any further tools or devices.
- Integrate the Optotune lens into your set-up within minutes.
- Minimize the number of components and the risk of non-working parts.
Features of Optotune's electrically tunable lens
- Enable an extremely flexible electrical adjustment of the range of the focal length within milliseconds
- Frequency feature allows focus adjustment within one exposure to focus on objects of different heights
- Increase working distance range
- Installed easily on the filter thread of the conventional lens or between the camera and the conventional lens
- Controlled via a control unit and Hirose cable
- No loss of image quality
- Large aperture and focal tuning ranges
- Easy connection and control via the TR-CL180 Industrial Lens controller from Gardasoft
- Clear aperture from F6
- Response time between 2 ms and 5 ms
Markets and Applications
- Quality control
- Barcode reading
- Packet sorting
- 3D microscopy
Read the knowledge base article and get detailed information on the innovative liquid lense technology: